Thursday, July 2, 2009

A late Memorial Day Tribute.

My Grandpa, George, was an inspiration. He was part of the “Greatest Generation.” A generation where serving your country was an honor that thousands of men held. This generation is the definition for words like courage, service, sacrifice and honor. Grandpa served in World War II and the Korean War and retired as a Major in the United Sates Army. He gave so much and asked for little in return.

In Dec 2001 my wonderful Grandpa George left this Earth to be with Jesus and his ancestors that went before him. I was blessed to have so much time with him, but sad that he never met my girls. While in San Antonio this weekend we went to Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery where Grandpa is buried. I took Eloise and talked to her about her Coco’s Daddy. We placed flowers on his grave. I explained to her the kind of man he was and how he shaped my life. I know Grandpa is no longer here, but when I am in that National Cemetery, I feel closer to him. I felt his presence and I know he would be so proud of the mother I am and Grandmother that my mom has become.

Please take a moment to remember the soldiers (like my Grandpa George) from the past and present. And this 4th of July, celebrate who they were/are, and what impact they have on our country! The impact that they had on YOU!



1 comment:

rackersfamily said...

sweet. sweet. sweet.