Tuesday, October 5, 2010

At Peace

Back in April my Dad had a routine medical procedure called a cardiac ablation. During the procedure there were some medical accidents made which lead Dad to have several strokes. He went into a coma on May 23rd. My Dad had been in the hospital almost ever since Tessa was born. After 3 1/2 months with little improvement, his health began to deteriorate and he went to be with the Lord on September 17th. I am heartbroken. I know Daddy is at peace, but human nature is selfish, and I want him here with me.

My Dad was a hard working, caring, God fearing man. He was my biggest advocate. He would be there for me, no matter what, even if it wasn't convenient for him. My Dad treated everyone with respect and dignity, no matter who they were or where they came from. He was an outdoors man. He enjoyed spending time with his family, especially his 7 grand kids. He was a college football enthusiast. He was a terrific example to all. He was a husband of 38 years, a grandpa, a coworker, a boss, a friend to many... he was my Dad.

I hold so many memories close: Meals around the table every night, family vacations, youth basketball coaching, college tailgate parties, weekends at the river house, special times with his grand kids.... I could go on for days. That doesn't even scratch the surface.

Give your loved ones a kiss and tell them how much you care about them and never, ever, take one moment with them for granted.


Love you Daddy.....

7 comments:

Alisha & Mark said...

This made me cry!!!! Thank you for sharing. Your dad sounds like he was an amazing person and had lots of people that loved him dearly. I pray that the Lord will comfort you and your family! And...I'm so glad you are back blogging. I love reading about your beautiful family!
Alisha

Katy said...

Oh, Kelly!!! Bless your heart! That was the sweetest post. What an amazing and tenderhearted dad. I can't imagine the emotions you're going through! I love my daddy so much and my heart goes out to you. Hugs and prayers going your way!!!

The Warren Family said...

Kelly-

What a wonderful tribute to your father! He was an amazing person and I know how much he meant to you as well as how much you meant to him. The many times I got the privilege of being around him was always enjoyable! I know you miss him terribly but find peace that he is with the Lord. Love you Kelly!

Unknown said...

man, just when i think i'm keeping it together, i read a sweet note about bill or see his smiling face. gets me every time. i guess that's a good thing though. means he's still a present and important part of my life. love you much cuz

rackersfamily said...

welcome back! i've enjoyed catching up on your precious family. i am so sorry to hear about your dad. love the post and am praying for peace and comfort for you and your family.

Team Howerton said...

I know the emotions involved when you lose such a wonderful father unexpectedly...I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks so much for sharing such a wonderful heartfelt piece of your life! Your dad sounds like such an amazing man and he has obviously rubbed off on you ;-) Much love, thoughts and prayers your way sweet Kelly!

Aunt Teri said...

Kelly,
As I have sat and read this I have tears rolling down my face. At Peace was such a touching story about your father. The teddy bear was a perfect treasure for you. I wish I could have back a few of those moments that I took for granted. This was a beautiful tribute to him.
I love you all, Aunt Teri